Monday, April 18, 2011

No Scale Victories

I lied. The first is really a scale victory because I've lost a total of about 30 lbs. The scale keeps playing with the last two pounds for some reason. One day I'm up two, and the next two days I'm down two. Wierd.

My no scale victory/ies today is about people beginning to take notice of the change in me. I look at myself everyday so I really haven't noticed a change in the way I look, but my husband notices and tells me, and I keep telling him he's just saying that to make me feel better, but he comes back with, "I'd never lie to you." Ah, what can I say, the boy loves me! Yes, after 25 years of marriage I still refer to him as "the boy."

However, today I had a few errands to run before I met my sister in law for lunch. I stopped at the post office first to pick up my mail and to mail a package. I went to high school with one of the postal workers so I always make sure I go up to her counter. We chit chat for a while and she says, "have you lost weight? I can see it in your face." Why yes I have! It's such a great feeling when someone else notices the fruits of one's labor! An incredibly great feeling!

My second stop was at the bank and again I know the manager so I stop to chat, she takes my deposits and goes up to a teller to process them. When she returned she said one of the tellers told me she notices your weight loss. The teller, a very petite girl from Eastern Europe smiles at me indicating that she was the one who made the comment. I waived hello, nodded my head and said, "yes, thank you!" Smiles all around!

Off to meet my sister in law for lunch. My sister in law isn't a very observant person so I wasn't really expecting my WOW moments to last, I was certain she'd be the one to break the chain of euphoric highs I was having all day, but instead she shocked me. The first thing she said to me was "Oh my goodness, I almost didn't recognize you! You look fantastic!" I haven't seen her since last summer.

Now this is the first time I've eaten out since surgery and I wasn't sure how it would be, but luckily she suggested IHOP which made it somewhat easy because I could have eggs, and that's exactly what I had. My plate came with two smoked sausages (kielbasa) 2 scrambled eggs, hash browns and pancakes with a nice big blob of butter on top, and the first thing I thought of was pre-surgery I would have schkoffed everything down and had dessert! No more. That was then, this is NOW!

Then it happened. I looked at the pancakes and thought to myself if I start eating them, I'll be putting non nutrious, high carb food in my tiny tummy and won't have room for anything else, so I started on the eggs and alternated between bites of egg and sausage. In total I had about 1/2 cup of eggs and half of one half of a sausage! Never touched the hash browns and actually forgot the pancakes were there, and then I got that familiar uncomfortable feeling at the top of my stomach that warns me that I better stop or I will be one sorry ass girl. I stopped because not only is my mission to lose weight and be healthy, I also don't want to vomit, get nauseous or be uncomfortable with an overly full tummy. "Obey the Sleeve," is my new motto these days, and obey I did as I asked the waiter for a take out container. My sister in law was amazed at how little I ate. Oh, and she doesn't know about my surgery either, and I'm not sure if I want to tell her.

As I sit here tonight writing this blog I realize I've experienced on of the many yet to come no scale victories and WOW moments. Realistically my day was pretty boring, but to me it was awesome!


A la prossima!

No comments:

Post a Comment