Sunday, April 3, 2011

Dinner

Still high from my Saturday weigh in and since the weather has been sunny and just a little bit warm, it's an added bonus and a reminder that summer will be here soon and I'm looking forward to feeling great!

I'm also still looking into buying a good point and click camera and may go out tomorrow to find one.

Tonight I made Turkey Chili with beans, but before I give you my low cal, low carb recipe, I have to admit that I've been doing something wrong when I eat. I have stopped measuring my food and am giving myself a little bit less than the same amount I ate before surgery, and I think I'm eating too fast and not chewing my food well enough. The reason why I think this is because every time I eat, even if I think I've had enough food and should stop eating, about 2-3 minutes later, I get this pain at the top of stomach signaling me that I'm full, and then I get REALLY FULL! Like to the point where I wished I could perform magic and push the clock ahead about an hour so the uncomfortable full feeling will go away.

I also have a problem eating dense foods. By that I mean any cooked ground meat, it seems I can eat about two bites and that horrible uncomfortable feeling comes back. So tonight after I finished cooking the chili, I portioned out about 2/3 of a cup. I ate about 4 small spoonfuls and stopped, and as usual, the familiar pain followed by the uncomfortable feeling arrives, which also resulted in eating only half of my dinner. And then it dawned on me that maybe I'm eating too fast, maybe I'm trying to eat too much and MAYBE I'm not chewing enough! Maybe I'm getting a little too comfortable with this sleeve and have been caught off guard!!

With this in mind, my next meal will be tomorrow morning at breakfast and I am going to be very, very mindful of what I'm doing.

Here ya go, my Turkey Chili Recipe:

1 lb. of ground turkey, preferably 93/7
1 medium green pepper, diced
1 medium onion, diced
2 small cloves of garlic or one fat one, minced
1 28 oz can of tomatoes, you may have to crush them by hand.
1 can of tomato paste
1 14 oz. can of Goya black beans (or any plain, canned black beans), drained and rinsed
2 tblsp. of chili powder
1 tsp. of cumin
1 tsp. of mexican oregano
1/2 tsp of chili flakes or to your preference
2 tblsp of olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

On medium heat, heat oil in a big sauce pan and crumble in turkey and cook until almost all of the water has evaporated. Add minced garlic, pepper and onions and stir until almost cooked (about 5 minutes), add spices, salt, pepper and cook for another minute, then add tomatos and tomato paste and stir. cover and simmer on low heat for about 30 minutes.

Drain and rinse a can of black beans, throw into the pot and let cook for another 5 minutes.

Enjoy!


**This was my mother in law's recipe. I remember clearly the day she gave it to me and when she mentioned Mexican oregano, I almost laughed in her face because I thought she was just being sarcastic, and Mexican oregano didn't really exist, well low and behold and may she rest in eternal peace, my mother in law has been gone for about 12 years and I only found out several months ago that It DOES EXIST!

I can hear you laughing in heaven Mum!

No comments:

Post a Comment