Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Meatball Madness!

So the other day I decided to make some marinara sauce with meatballs. I figured the hubby can have meatballs with pasta and being the good, low carb eating girl I am I'll just eat the meat. Well, before we go on, I need to tell you that I have this bad habit of putting things off until I damn well feel like doing it. Okay, so a few days before I took out some frozen hamburger out of the freezer to make the meatballs with, but.... I didn't get to them until this morning... and... well...when I took out the package of hamburger that had thoroughly thawed out many days ago from the fridge, it was brown. I mean the meat was brown sitting atop a pool of brown juice. I know TMI but Ewww... I even had the nerve to smell it! And while it didn't particularly have an overpowering evil smell, there was a slight hint of what was to come had I left it in the fridge any longer. I hate wasting good food and I'm sorry it couldn't be used but thank God for garbage disposals!

So now I've got sauce on the stove cooking away and nothing to make meatballs with. Then I remembered some freebie I got at the supermarket one day, it was one of those, "spend $50, get 3 free items," type promotion. I remember the items clearly, one item was a small watermelon, a bag of lettuce and a bag of frozen, ready made meatballs! Needless to say I grabbed that bag, tore it open and immediately dumped the contents into the pot of boiling sauce. Whew!! Saved!

My dinner last night was two golf ball sized meatballs with sauce, and even though they weren't my meatballs and the sauce covered up the fact that they were a little bland, they served their purpose.

Now I've got broccoli and eggplant in the fridge that I bought last week. When I checked today the eggplant was still firm and the broccoli still green, so maybe I'll get off my ass and cook it tomorrow and make something useful from it, eh?

A la prossima!

2 comments:

  1. thanks for the blog love! I think I'm gonna buy me some ready to cook meatballs from target today. They make post wls life SO much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for surprise meatballs!

    ReplyDelete