Friday, March 25, 2011

The Dreaded Stall

So let's see, I had my surgery on the 23rd of February, that first week I lost 20 lbs. I guess when all you can have are liquids and pureed soups and foods, it tends to come off fast. A week later I lost nothing, the week after that nothing again. "It's a stall," I'm told, "it's your body trying to catch up with all the weight it just lost, you'll start losing again." Really? Well, it's pissing me off! Every day I got on the scale and it didn't move. It didn't go up and it didn't go down. It was stuck. I have a digital scale. I thought about throwing it out and buying a new one, I thought about changing the batteries, but then my husband gets on it and proclaims, "it works fine!" Great, I thought and then started going through a laundry list in my head of what could possibly be wrong with me that I'm not losing weight.

Week 4 arrives, I stepped on the scale Monday morning and I'm down 1 pound. Hmm… I thought, maybe… just maybe I'm out of the slump. The next day I did it again, I was down a half pound more. Wednesday morning, down another half pound. Well, it's Friday morning and so far I've lost 3 pounds this week! The stall is over! YESSSSS!!! It seemed like the longest 2 weeks of torture I've ever experienced.

My big issue right now is getting some exercise in. I have severe osteoarthritis in my right knee, which I'm hoping will not be an issue as I continue to lose weight, but for now it's difficult for me to get in any kind of exercise. I'm still on a "no lifting" restriction from my surgeon for at least another 2-3 weeks. I know once I start working out, I'll lose weight faster, and at the same time get rid of some the excess skin I'm going to be experiencing. After all, I can't possibly overeat, at 4 week post-op, I eat like a 2 year old. I can only hold in a half cup of food with each meal. I have to get my protein drinks and water in which is not very easy, but I try. Last night I shared a 1 1/2 oz. turkey burger with my cat. I just couldn't finish it.

So exercise is an issue for me right now. I think tomorrow I'm going to go to the Y and see if I can join their water aerobics class. I have to do something, but for now I think the dreaded stall is over!

No comments:

Post a Comment