Saturday, November 24, 2012

I'm Back (for now at least!)

I know, I know. It's been forever since I've been here and again I'm going to attribute it to school. Last semester I tool Algebra and Human Bio and I hate algebra. This semester I'm taking Statistics and a language, and I hate Statistics! I just hate math! Good news is I've been accepted to a somewhat prestigious university for spring semester and beginning in January, my community college days will be over. I'm big time now! Hahaha!!

Total pounds lost? 69. Yes, it's great, but it's slow and sometimes it stalls for months! Imagine working out nearly every day in the summer, doing weights, cardio and even water aerobics, watching what I eat, counting calories and every blessed thing that went into my mouth and NOT LOSING A POUND!! How does one not lose any weight on 1200 calories and lots of exercise? Anyway, I had to be patient, but then I thought, if I took away 200 calories, what would happen? Well, I lost weight. In fact 10 lbs in a month's time. That's a lot of weight in one month so I don't expect to be riding the weight loss carnival ride for much longer. I know it will level itself off and I'll hit another stall but I'm enjoying it for now!

I'm learning. I go to a monthly post op meeting for bariatric patients at the hospital where I had my surgery. I also took a nutritional biology class this summer and and have been counseling, actually sitting in with a registered dietician while she counsels bariatric patients. I've learned a tremendous amount of information about our bodies and what happens when we feed it, and while I won't go on about what I learned, let's just say I've been enlightened, carbs are not the enemy. I love sharing my knowledge with others but I'm finding that people will only hear what they want, and that's okay too.

There is a certain message board for bariatric patients that I used to go visit pre-op and for a short while post op, and am now learning that much of the information shared there is dangerous. I even got into a mild debate with a dethroned king now acting queen at this site who basically told me everything that I've learned in biology class and in nutritional biology class is wrong and he is right. He possesses no professional experience, no license to practice, not even an internet diploma (sic) but he's an expert. And while his minions cheered him on as he "told me off," I laughed and shook my head. Apparently I stepped on his queenly toes. Okay, granted, I don't have a license either, not yet anyway, I expect to in 2 years, however I'm just sharing what I've learned and not giving out advice or private counseling. It's fine. I don't lose any sleep over it and we're all adults so I'm sure they will find their own way. All I will say is try to stay within a normal range of protein intake as too much can affect your kidneys, try to balance your meals with some carbs and a little fat and you'll be fine. It's working for me!

The above is an observation and an experience I had and I felt the need to say it and will not name the website or name of individual.

Weight loss can be accomplished if you use the tools that were giving to you during surgery. Eat small amounts, eat slow, eat a variety of foods, eat healthy, drink at least 48 oz of liquid a day, preferably water, but iced or hot tea and crystal lite are fine and don't forget to exercise That's it, nothing more to it. For those of us with VSG surgery, our bodies act the same as they always did, we're just missing a big part of our stomachs, and that doesn't change our biology, everything is in working order! Makes me happy that I did not opt for the gastric bypass but I admire those who did choose it.

On that note, I'm off to do some homework.

Ciao for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment